[K12OSN] Re: Success! Run Fl_TeacherTool without root password

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 17:25:00 UTC 2005

On 10/3/05, Peter Hartmann <ascensiontech at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was wondering, is there a way to exclude the teacher from showing up
> in the user list when using this method?

I also noticed this. If you notice on my website I stated to become
root with 'su' not 'su -' when launching TT from a thin client. But
this only works if you HAVE the root password. I don't know how to
setup sudo to accomplish this.

The reason this works is that when you become root with just 'su' then
when you type 'echo $LOGNAME' you get your username, not root. But if
you become root with 'su -' then your $LOGNAME shows up as root. In
Fl_TeacherTool I don't grab usernames that match $LOGNAME. I don't
know how to get sudo to mimick this behaviour of running with root
priviliges yet show your own $LOGNAME. If anyone has a solution I'd
love to hear it.

--
Robert Arkiletian