[K12OSN] Re: Which Windows apps stand in the way of Linux use at your school?

Matt Oquist moquist at majen.net
Tue Oct 4 00:34:26 UTC 2005

> From: Terrell Prud?, "Jr." <microman at cmosnetworks.com>
> Subject: Re: [K12OSN] Which Windows apps stand in the way of Linux use at your school?
> > > - KidPix
> > > - Adobe Photoshop
> > Any reason Tux Paint and Gimp aren't suitable replacements for you?
> Yes.  Because the administrators and management won't allow them to be.
> Sadly, the teachers are complicit in this lunacy.

I know this sort of thing never really works, but I see a ClueBat(TM)
with an attached note saying, among other things, "Disney is the last
of the big dogs to announce coming over to Linux. Digital Domain,
Dreamworks, ILM, Pixar -- everybody is onboard. Linux is now the
preferred OS for animation and special effects."  That particular
ClueBat can be found at
http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT7096363910.html.  Granted,
that's really about Film Gimp, but you see, they're very, very
similar.  The lesson taught by this ClueBat is that wedding yourself
monogomously to one particular application is awfully silly when there
are huge, important bodies of work going on using another application
that is available to you for less than you're paying for what you
already have.

Also, kids can freely install the GIMP at home; they probably have to
use Photo$hop at school unless they've pirated it.

The more convincing ClueBat(TM) is the financial one.  Perhaps people
will think differently someday when they have the choice between 10
Photo$hop/Window$ computers and 30 Linux thin clients.

</crusade>

--matt