[K12OSN] Netgear GS748T switch

Terrell Prudé, Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Wed Oct 5 11:52:45 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-04 at 19:31 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-10-04 at 17:53, Terrell Prudé, Jr. wrote:
>
> > If you choose to go with this switch, also make sure, before you do,
> > that it *fully* supports GVRP.  This is a protocol that allows the
> > propagation of VLAN information across multiple switches; think of it
> > as the open version of Cisco's proprietary VTP.  If you don't have
> > either GVRP or VTP, then you're looking at manually configuring VLANs
> > across all your switching architecture.  Since all of my schools run
> > multiple VLANs with at least ten switches per school (our secondary
> > schools now have over 100 switches!), not having this feature is a
> > major problem for us.  That's the chief reason we went with Cisco
> > instead of Amer.com; a year ago, we actually were considering the
> > latter.  However, if you're dealing with just three to five switches,
> > then it may not be an issue.
>
> I'll telnet to 100 switches and paste in your list of vlans for
> a lot less than the Cisco switches cost. Unless you change them
> all the time you've saved a couple of minutes per switch. In fact
> I do it that way even on Ciscos because I've always been afraid
> that someone would put a switch from the lab on the main net and
> it would decide to become the master and tell the others about the
> wrong vlans.

If you're talking about one site, then that may work.  But do you have
the time to do it for 241 sites (average 30 switches each), along with
all your other duties?  :-)  Also, that assumes that your Cisco
alternative actually supports telnetting or SSH'ing in.  I may be wrong,
but it doesn't look like those Netgears support a command-line
interface, though the Amer.com switches do.  No, I must still maintain
that GVRP or something equivalent is really a *major* help when you're
managing a larger network.  Also, since we're adding capabilities to our
networks every year (security systems, secured wireless, etc.), we do
add VLANs regularly.  We're doing it right now, actually.

That said, I agree that Cisco switches are horridly expensive, which is
why we were considering an alternative (are you listening, Mark
Wilhelm? :-) ).  If Amer.com had supported GVRP, then we'd have been all
over it.  But our network is just too big to do it all manually like
that.

--TP