[K12OSN] odd reboot issue

Calvin Park linuxsys at davisny.edu
Wed Oct 5 12:26:38 UTC 2005

Hi all,

Last night one of my techs called me this morning to let me know that our
LTSP server had decided to crash. How nice. I came in this morning and the
server had power, but wasn't booted up, as far as I could tell. The
terminals upstairs were all searching for DHCP, and the server downstairs
would not display anything on the monitor. So, I hit the reset button.
Seemed to boot okay (had a few SELinux messages at boot) until a message
displayed about.../proc/hdd/media I/O error. I waited a minute or two, then
the screen went blank (this is downstairs, on the monitor hooked via KVM
switch to the server). I went upstairs and the terminals are booting fine
now, but still no display downstairs.

Anyone else run into this problem before? Anyone have any idea what could
have caused a random freeze which required a reboot and now nothing displays
on the screen? Thanks in advance.

Calvin Park
System Administrator
Computer Services Department
Davis College: A Practical College of Bible and Ministry

email: cpark at davisny.edu
phone: 1.607.729.1581 ext 404
web: http://www.davisny.edu/csd