[K12OSN] copying data

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Oct 5 16:12:23 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 10:51, Brandon Kovach wrote:

> Let's say that this fixes the problem.  I know how to copy users to this
> new box.  However, is there a way to copy data from home directories?  I
> don't want to copy user settings or anything like that.  I want those to
> be all new.  I only want to copy .docs and things.

Unless you are changing versions I'd probably rsync the entire home
directory and then back out any .config files that seem to be
breaking specific applications.  However if you really don't want
to take any .files, you could cd /home and
tar -cvf /somewhere/home.tar */*
Or do a script that cd's to each directory and rsync's *.  The idea
being that expanding * skips files that start with a '.', where
tar/rsync directory recursion would take them.

--
   Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com