[K12OSN] odd reboot issue

Angus Carr acarr at saskforestcentre.ca
Wed Oct 5 16:46:42 UTC 2005

This one sounds like a failing drive - you mentioned something about a
IO error (ok, I've responded to a message where that's been trimmed.
Drat.) on some drive or another.

At a guess, it's blocking on reading a file which is partially on a
failed sector of the disk. gdm is probably waiting for it, and
eventually gives up and authenticates (that's why logging in would be
slow). I would book a weekend to baby your server, or an evening, or
something.

Boot off a livecd of some sort, and see what you can do. Perhaps
replacing the drive is in order. That usually works for me.

Of course, you have your important data all backed up somehow, as all of
us always do...:-)

If not, then make that your first priority off a livecd boot. Back it
all up. Especially /home.

Angus Carr.