[K12OSN] release of smbldap-installer-2.0-gamma

Matt Oquist moquist at majen.net
Wed Oct 5 22:04:05 UTC 2005

To download:
http://majen.net/smbldap/

The smbldap-installer has had some minor changes that justify another
pre-release.  The things keeping me from calling this 2.0 are that
I haven't been able to fully test yet, and the documentation is
woefully out of date.

I'm talking with Dave offline about the documentation, though help
would be welcome there.

If anyone else wants to try it out and let me know how it goes, that
would be great.  (In addition, I know I've already promised a couple
people to add CentOS to the list of supported distros.)

BTW, the smbldap-ldif-backup-configure script should work fine
regardless of what version of the smbldap-installer you've used on
your system.  If you just want to configure the regular backups you
should download http://majen.net/smbldap/smbldap-installer-latest.tgz,
un-tar it, and run 'make ldif-backup' (or just
./smbldap-ldif-backup-configure).  FYI, the script sets up weekly
backups of your LDAP DB (via slapcat) and uses logrotate to keep 8 of
those around at all times.

The NEWS file says:
Between 2.0-beta and 2.0-gamma
* Changed name of smbldap-ldif-backup to
  smbldap-ldif-backup-configure.  Changed Makefile to reflect this.
* Changed ldif-backup to be done via a script in cron.daily rather
  than by the postrotate script in logrotate.

Between 1.2.1 and 2.0-beta
* Separated installation and configuration into separate scripts to
  make it easier to support multiple distributions.
* smbldap-install tries to use yum before asking for CDs if possible.
* Alpha support for user quotas.
  NOTE: This is an additional input field into smbldap-useradd-bulk.
* smb-ldap.pl is deprecated; use 'make all' instead.
* Added automatic configuration of weekly LDIF backups.  The backups
  are stored in /var/lib/ldap/ldif-backups/ by default.
* Fixed broken output/input of smbldap-useradd-bulk.  Now the output
  is correctly processed as valid input.

--matt

--
Open Source Software Engineering Consultant
http://majen.net/