[K12OSN] Internet in k12 AND windows/macos?

Terrell Prudé, Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Fri Oct 7 12:30:47 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 01:27 -0700, gKw-X wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The school currently has a lab of computers booting to k12, an LAC room
> full of Macs, and various Windows machines scattered here and there. It
> would really turn some heads if I was able to have every machine in the
> school able to boot to either k12 or the local os, AND to have internet
> access in either case. The current setup has the firewall/internet
> server hooked into a switch, which goes to all the mac/windows machines
> and into the k12 server. Then the k12 server goes into a second switch,
> which connects to all the lab pcs. So there are two things I need to ask:
>
> 1) Do I need two DHCP servers? How can I do this without running into
> conflicts on either the k12 machines, or the local os machines? I tried
> just plugging everything into one switch and suddenly half the k12
> machines stopped booting (I assume because they were talking to the
> wrong DHCP server).

If you're running a dual-NIC K12LTSP setup (the default), then yes, you
will need two DHCP servers, and you will need the LTSP clients on a
different network segment.  You can also use VLANs, if your switching
architecture supports them, to accomplish the same thing.

My setup at home is a little different.  I run a single-NIC K12LTSP
server and use its DHCP server to serve my whole LAN.

> 2) Can Macs boot to k12? There are some notes here and there indicating
> that maybe they can. How does this work? Or am I completely clueless.

Yep.  I do it with a Power Mac 5260, and others report that they've done
it with other models as well.  I've also, BTW, done it with Sun Ultra
5's.

--TP