[K12OSN] rsync

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Mon Oct 10 16:17:31 UTC 2005

My only hesitation about cd'ing into a directory and then doing something in that
directory, instead of just doing the work using a fully qualified path to the directory,
stems from a script that a colleague of mine wrote some years ago.  The script would cd
into the directory, then do a find for files older than one week, and delete them; it's
purpose was to get rid of old log files for a particular app.  However, I didn't know
about the script, and one day removed the directory in question.  The next time the
script ran, while the cd failed, the find & remove did not fail and it began wiping out
files from / on down, crashing the system.  Ever since then, I always specify full paths
in my scripts.

Petre