[K12OSN] Ubuntu LTSP cannot authenticating to LDAP through GDM, but works with ssh

Glenn Arnold garnold at unrealsolutions.com
Wed Oct 12 06:13:47 UTC 2005

John,

To answer your question on directory structure, so far in my environment
it is not an issue on the breezy ltsp box.  I have not had problems with
students accounts login with strange errors on desktop.  The desktop
settings are coming from breezy box, but the home directory is mount
through nfs to my redhat es 3.0 server.  The only issue I have had when
comes to strange errors is with my teacher and staff accounts logging
into the box.  The error they get is something like this $HOME/.dmrc can
not find or write to file. Please set file rights to 644.  Click OK on
the error and it lets you in.  I think why this is happening is I had a
fat finger about a year ago in the staff home directory and accidently
reset the rights or owner of the staff folders and did not reset the
properly for the .dmrc file.  I will keep everybody posted.

-Glenn