[K12OSN] server giga nic - compatible

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Thu Oct 13 18:45:32 UTC 2005

On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 11:43:44AM -0400, Timothy Legge wrote:
> Hi
>
> The cards look to be based on the Realtek 8169 chip.
> I have a couple of those for driver work but I have
> never stress tested them.  The Realtek *8139* was not
> a remarkably good nic but their price more than made
> up for it.
>
> I would look for some benchmarks comparing the *8169*
> to other 10/100/1000 chips and be ready to swap it if
> necessary but at the price it would not hurt to try
> it.

Based on my admittedly anecdotal knowledge, I'd probably
pay $6 more for an Intel gigabit adapter.

Speaking of gigabit NICS - if anyone out there is considering
a D-Link PCI Express gigabit adapter, let me know - the code
from D-Link requires a couple of tweaks before it will compile
on the latest kernel.

Calvin

--
Calvin Dodge