[K12OSN] odd reboot issue

Calvin Park linuxsys at davisny.edu
Thu Oct 20 12:48:31 UTC 2005

Calvin,

Thanks for the advice. I turned off X on the server, rebooted, and it locked
in the rhgb, I editted /etc/sysconfig/init and turned off the graphical boot
option. Rebooted, and it booted in fine. Terminals are working, and the
server is running, no out of control X process. So, one problem solved.

Now, last night my tech called me in when the lab froze. It was about 5:53PM
our time. After I got things working this morning I took a look at
/var/log/messages and found something mildly interesting. When the server
crashed at 5:53PM yesterday the last message was

ws234.ltsp -- MARK --

No big deal I thought. The message after that is the system being rebooted
(when I got there). But, I looked at the overnight logs (the server crashed
last night after I had...sorta...got it working, no surprise since that
rogue X process was still playing games)...and at 3:53AM, it crashed again.
Guess the last message...yep,

ws234.ltsp -- MARK --

Now, I'm not sure if that is just coincidence or not. I may go through some
old logs and see if that was the last message before the crash several weeks
ago. If it is...is it possible for a terminal to cause the server to crash?
Maybe it was related to X running on the server and such? If that's the case
it shouldn't be an issue anymore, but what if it was related to something
else? Just throwing some things out there. Thanks everyone for all your help
already. Oh, and BTW, I checked the HDD and it still has ~40GB free.

-Calvin