[K12OSN] Releasing Fl_TeacherTool 0.1

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 21:21:02 UTC 2005

On 10/21/05, Peter Hartmann <ascensiontech at gmail.com> wrote:

> with you.  What if the lock feature worked like this:  the teacher
> types a temporary password into the input field and presses the lock,
> button.  Then the students regular password won't work to exit the
> screensaver and only the temporary password will work.  Our computer
> teacher has been using TT and had to log off  unruly students.  They
> ended up just logging in again.

I make the lock feature to simply get students attention. Like turning
the lights out for a second.  Not really for discipline. The lock
feature simply engages the students screensaver. Therefore, the
students password is required to end it. In order to have the
functionality you describe one would have to change the password of
the user. It's possible, but not a good idea in my mind. Discipline
issues should be dealt with in a different way, maybe asking the
student to sit in the hall for a while.

  Could their be a record feature
> implemented in TT for vncreflector?  It looks as though there are a
> couple different ways of recording vnc sessions at present.  Having
> one integrated would just be ridiculous.

A record feature would be interesting but it is well beyond my
ability. In order to be worth while it would also have to record audio
instructions and also be able to have playback. That would be another
tool altogether. In order to be remotely possible one would have to
use an already existing 3rd party recorder. I know Camtasia
(http://camtasia.com) has such a commercial product for windows (it
actually saves the sessions as flash content). I don't know of any
Linux equivalent software. Greg Ercolano (an active member of the FLTK
community) uses Camtasia to make FLTK programming tutorial videos.
There is a link in my tutorial site
http://fltk.org/links.php?V19

Right now (after this strike) my 1st goal is to add multiple server
support to Fl_TeacherTool. 2nd goal is to solve the problem of
teachers logging out of vnc session window and hanging the reflector.

--
Robert Arkiletian