[K12OSN] Defending education usage for k12ltsp

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Tue Oct 25 13:32:33 UTC 2005

> Are the teachers currently happy? Would they be happy if the
> terminals were replaced with win98? Would they be willing to express
> their opinions on the matter?

I agree with Eric here.  If there are teachers that use the lab and have grown
to like the apps and also have curriculum based around it use them to help you
fight.  Teachers usually have more pull, heck, they are usually what stops
LTSP from even getting in the door.

The play the virus/spyware card and ask who is going to service all of those
Windows machines when a single one gets infected from viewing a simple web
page and quickly infects the rest.

Worst case state the shortfalls of the hardware and how the machines are able
to run extremely fast with K12LTSP, but with Windows they would be slow and
out of date.  Maybe fight that the lab be augmented with a few newer Windows
machines and keep the current K12LTSP structure in place.  Then when they
become infected you can easily "fix" them with a boot floppy :-)

Sounds like you have a tough case to present since the new principal has
already made up their mind.

Good luck