[K12OSN] Defending education usage for k12ltsp

Terrell Prudé, Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Wed Oct 26 00:29:05 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 15:56 -0400, Joseph Bishay wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > you will see a HUGH difference between 16 and 64MB and a very noticeable
> > difference between 32 and 64MB. RAM is cheap these days. . .
>
> I don't even know if they can handle anymore ram. I think many of them
> have only 1 slot for a stick of ram now. What sort of ram is this -
> EDO?

Probably so.  If they're Pentium I's, then there are three possiblities
for DRAM physical form factors.

1.)  30-pin SIMM (must be added in fours)
2.)  72-pin SIMM (must be added in pairs)
3.)  168-pin DIMM (added one at a time, like today's boxes)

In case 1, most mobos could take a max of 32MB DRAM, as they had eight
slots, and the largest SIMM size that I ever saw was 4MB.  All such
mobos supported FPM memory.  In case 2, I've never, ever seen a mobo
with less than two slots, because, remember, you have to add them in
pairs.  It's very easy to get a couple of 32MB 72-pin SIMMs (64MB
total), and very cheaply.  Both FPM and EDO are supported on all such
motherboards I've ever heard of.  In case 3, you're talking about either
FPM, EDO, or SDRAM DIMMs; note that SDRAM is very different electrically
and not at all compatible with FPM/EDO DIMM slots.  FPM or EDO DIMMs
aren't hard to find at all.  Of course, SDRAM's even easier.  :-)

In my experience, 32MB are quite sufficient for the thin clients, but
having 64MB certainly doesn't hurt anything.  The jump from 16MB to
32MB, though, I quite agree, is dramatic.

--TP

> > Second, how much Video RAM do they have. The more, the better. . .
>
> Most have 1 MB or max 2 of onboard ram.

The video chipset also matters.  Big time.