[K12OSN] Idea for when Windows programs need to be run...

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Thu Oct 27 17:07:14 UTC 2005

> For example, if the school needs to have Windows for a testing program, they
> may only have a limited number of students taking the test at any given
> moment in time...

Sorry to inject a competing solution, but I did want to
point out that CrossOver educational pricing
starts at $49 per *concurrent* user and goes down from
there with volume, and *no* Windows license is required.

Further, many people get sound going with CrossOver just fine.

And CrossOver adds a very modest performance burden;
most folks just run it on their already existing
LTSP server with no real hit (there are exceptions
*cough* Shockwave *cough*).

Of course, CrossOver only runs a limited number of
applications, but that footprint is getting bigger all
the time.  Further, we are very happy to see if we can
make any given application work.  In fact, we're on
a bit of a crusade to help the eduational sector.
We've got a (admittedly small) special fund set aside
to add elbow grease for educational customers.

And, to top it off, we're a nice, friendly, flexible company
that directs nearly all of our efforts into improving
Open Source.  Not to mention the Julienne fries... <grin>

Cheers,

Jeremy