[K12OSN] remote home directories

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Thu Sep 8 15:05:56 UTC 2005

There are four ways to handle syncing the user IDs:

1.  Create the IDs by hand on machine2, making sure the UIDs and GIDs are the same as
those on machine1.  This is potentially a lot of work, but if you have only a few users,
is manageable.  This could be scripted using data from machine1.

2.  Copy the /etc/passwd, /etc/group, and /etc/shadow files from machine1 to machine2.
This can be manageable, especially if you don't have any IDs, user or group, setup yet
on machine2.  This method could invite trouble if the roles of the two machines diverge.

3. Use NIS (aka Yellow Pages) to have the info from machine1 exported to machine2.  This
isn't too hard, but conceptually it's different than methods 1 & 2, but is similar in
concept to NFS exporting and mounting.  However, NIS popularity seems to be declining in
favor of...

4. Use LDAP, which, like NIS, exports the user and group info from one machine to
another.  David Trask and others on this list have done a ton of work to make this
Really Easy To Setup, such that it seems any more it just involves running a few
scripts.  But I think it presumes there aren't any pre-existing IDs and groups, which
you do have, so getting LDAP going may require some backtracking, which may or may not
fit your timeframe.

Petre