[K12OSN] cron job how to

Liam Marshall k12ltsplover at stmaurice.mb.ca
Fri Sep 9 03:40:45 UTC 2005

I have a "homework folder" for each computer class where the owner is
the teacher of the class, the group is the group associated with that
class.  owner has read write execute, group has write and execute.  So
effectively, they can drag/drop off their assignments into this folder,
and after they close the window, can't access their own file,
effectively "handing in" their assignment.

I was quite pleased with myself until I went into one of my own class
homework folders.  I can see all the files( this is good) but cannot
open any!(this is bad!)  for myself I could get around this by logging
in as root and harvesting the files to mark but of course do not want
the other teachers to be able to do that.  I am assuming that the
problem lies with permissions, in that when student a creates a file by
dragging it into the homework folder, the permissions for THAT file
become theirs, as in they become the owner of that file, and not the
teacher.  I would love for created files to be owned by the teacher.  Am
I right in that?

The only way I can think of around this is to write a little bash script
that chown's the files in the class homework folder to change all file
ownership back to class teacher.  I am sure I could write this script
and execute it manually but have no idea how to automate it.  I have
heard and read about scheduling such an animal as a "cron job" but have
no idea how to schedule/set up such a thing

I would really appreciate help with this.

Thanks