[K12OSN] Re: K12LTSP across the Wan - NX status?

Sean Harbour sharbour at nwresd.k12.or.us
Fri Sep 9 18:32:12 UTC 2005

The No Machine NX protocol is supposed to be the ideal solution for your
application, that is, thin client access to a terminal server over a
slow WAN link. A quick google confirms that there are people working on
this for K12LTSP http://www.mailbucket.org/rss_k12osn-506780.html and if
memory serves, this was a hot topic at the last K12LTSP convention back
east. NX has a commercial version and a free version, not sure of the
details right now, but it is supposed to be as good as MS RDP or better
over low bandwidth links. They claim a graphical terminal session is
quite useable over dialup. Now, getting your terminals to boot from a
remote K12LTSP server is a different topic, but it should work fine with
a locally installed NX capable client.

Can anyone on the list give us a status on NX support?

Hope this helps,

Sean Harbour
Network Engineer
Northwest Regional Education Service District
5825 NE Ray Circle, Hillsboro, OR 97124
503-614-1448