[K12OSN] Some "community friendly" presentation ideas

Bill Bardon bill.bardon at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 20:46:50 UTC 2005

On Saturday, Sep 10 Dan Young wrote:
> s/invulnerable/less susceptible/
>
> Linux and open source stand well on their own merits. No need to gild
> the proverbial lily.

Hmm...  is there a virus or spyware program for Linux or Mac OS X in the
wild right now?

Talk hypothetically if you want, but in reality malware doesn't
propagate on Linux or Mac due to the separation of the OS and user
space. Without a successful method of propagation, it's only laboratory
science at this point.

"Less susceptible", as in, 100,000 viruses in the wild for Windows vs. 0
for Linux? The "less susceptible" terminology tends to support those who
say Windows is only attacked because of its market share, and that if
Linux were more common, it would have just as many viruses.  This is
false.

Rather than choosing either of our comparative terms, how about we just
say Linux "doesn't get" viruses or spyware?  'Cause it sure hasn't on
any of the systems I've run in the last eight years!  :-)

--
Bill Bardon
COMPUTASSIST