[K12OSN] Ubuntu thoughts...

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Sep 13 14:26:20 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 07:33, David Trask wrote:
> I find that most of the time...it's not the CD, but rather the shiny new
> CD drive.  Some of my servers are coming with Samsung drives that spin way
> too fast for burned CD's.....if I swap it out with a Creative or Sony
> drive it works fine.   They often come on "rails" so I put a good drive on
> a set of rails and slide it in place of the other only for installs  (even
> though I do 99% of my installs now via NFS).

Yet another possibility is to use a USB flash drive to boot with the
diskboot.img in the 1st CD's /images directory.  Most machines will
boot from USB these days. A cheap way to do that is to find a compact
flash or SD card from a camera that is too small to used anymore (8 megs
is plenty) and use it with a USB adapter that doesn't have to be
dedicated to the job.  Just make a loopback mount of the iso image
on the machine that holds it so you can dd the file to the device,
plug it in the machine you want to load and reboot.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com