[K12OSN] Linux Authentication

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri Sep 16 21:29:50 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 15:03, Rondall Stewart wrote:
> I actually have a different but similar question than the original post.
> All I need is when the users login they are using their existing
> Windows accounts.  I really don't want to recreate and manage 1000+
> users on the linux box.  Would samba do this.

Using winbindd should let you use an existing Windows PDC or AD and
domain accounts.   Smb will do the same but only for authentication
(i.e. you have to create local accounts but can check against existing
passwords).   You can pick these in the authconfig program.  LDAP
would be better if you have a samba/ldap setup, even if it is acting
as a pdc for windows boxes.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com