[K12OSN] OT - Many displays/remote control

dale dalen at czexan.net
Sat Sep 17 20:46:18 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:
> This doesn't quite relate to normal k12ltsp use but some of the ideas
> might apply so I'll ask here anyway.  I have a wall of displays
> monitoring a lot of remote network devices and services.  These
> are currently mostly running on multi-headed windows boxes.  Some
> of the software needs windows but quite a few are just browser
> screens and some are already java applications under Linux.  There
> is a massive tangle of keyboards and mice underneath and it is
> painful to sort out which goes to which display.  So, is there
> a better way?
Les,
	Another approach might be to look into monitoring software that can
poll various network devices or you could roll your own.  This way you
could minimize the need for many monitors.  If I had this problem, I
would look into writing a perl script to poll each network device at
certain intervals and update a web page with a blinking red line if
things are out of wack and a solid green line if things are normal.
Clicking the line would expand or contract the details.  Then you could
have 1 web page with n lines that should all be green.  If one turns
red, expand on it for details.

Thanks,

Dale