[K12OSN] Can't add second disk to FC4

Jim Christiansen christiansen_j at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 17 22:57:25 UTC 2005

Hi Everyone,

I've posted this message to the fedora-list but seeing it's Saturday and the
box is a K12 server I figure I may try here, too, for help!-----------

So I've been poking around and haven't figured out how to add a second hard
disk to my system that won't be tied into my existing volume.

I have had several RH 7.3 & 9 systems that rsynced to a separate drive every
night as my method of backup. Two times in the last 3 years I have had hda
disks fail and just purchased newer bigger drives, installed them as hda
with the lastest RH or FC1, and restored my shadow, group, ... homes and
other configs to the new system. Each time this has happened I have never
even needed to worry.

Now it seems that with LVM the drives are tied together into a bigger
volume. I don't want this. I want to keep them separate.

Any whoo... I have just installed a second ide drive as a slave and powered
up my system only to have a kernel panic after grub. The error I get is:

Couldn't find all physical volume for volume group VolGroup00
Inconsistent metadata copies found - updating to use version 6
.
.
.
mount: error 6 mounting ext3
.
.
.
switchroot: mount failed: 22

My disks are jumpered properly and the second disk (slave) was working in
the same box with an old FC3 but was a member of the whipped out FC3
VolGroup00

Is there something I should do first?

Thanks,  Jim