[K12OSN] What are you using for failover?

Brian Chivers brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk
Mon Sep 19 18:36:50 UTC 2005

Mark Sarria wrote:
> Hello List
>
> After reading the string on "Power outage - ldap stopped working" I would
> like to know what mechanisms are in place in your location for failover. Do
> you have a PDC-BDC setup in your network environment? or are you using LDAP
> replication for failover? I would like a sense of what is being used so I
> may implement this in my network.
>
> Reading the "Power outage - ldap stopped working", I was able to perform a
> backup of /home and my ldap db. I am now currently installing Fedora Core 3
> on a second server, but not sure how I am going to set it up.
>
> Thanks for your responds.
>
> --mark

I'm just working on implementing replication.

What we do at the mo is to dump the contents of our LDAP backend to a
ldif file once a week as we don't usually add much, just read and this
is backed up.

What I have found that one LDAP server takes a real hammering if you
have about 150 concurrent Win2K clients all accessing the one server
that is also acting as the PDC. Now this doesn't sound much but add 3
more Samba servers authenticating to this with Windows clients and
things really go slow.

I did think about adding more memory to the PDC / LDAP server but then
thought of the idea of setting up each of the other 3 Samba servers as
replica LDAP servers and then altering the config of smb.conf to
authenticate against the local ldap server, really just a standalone server.

This will hopefully reduce the load on the central LDAP and also allow
for a bit of fallover as we'll have 3 backup LDAP servers.

I'm just working on a test server to see what I need to add to the
minimal install to get OpenLDAP server running locally. It looks OK at
the mo just have to setup the replication from the central LDAP but that
might have to wait till tomorrow.

Brian