[K12OSN] Minimum Server Config

Calvin Park linuxsys at davisny.edu
Mon Sep 19 19:27:44 UTC 2005

Well, the system we use for ~20 terminals is,

IBM eServer Xseries 306
3.0Ghz Pentium 4
2Gigs RAM (we are seriously considering going to 4Gigs though, since we use
KDE and not iceWM or some such)
80GB SATA HDD
It has dual integrated Gigabit ethernet adapters

It works really well for us. I'd imagine you might get away with a little
less RAM. The price tag for the server itself is $1150.00, you'll spend
about $100.00 on a 160Gig SATA drive, and depending on how much RAM you want
any where from $50 on up.

http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=-8
40&productId=8705221&storeId=1&langId=-1&dualCurrId=73&categoryId=2588410
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144415
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820141508

Those are links to some relevant hardward vendors. I'm guessing we're
talking $1500.00 after it's all said and done, maybe a little more. So, it
might still be a bit steep. But I'd also say that for only 10 stations you
could probably get away with something like,

1.8Ghz Athlon
1-1.5 Gigs RAM
80GB IDE HDD
10/100Mbps NICs

Now, others who have set up more systems then I have (I've only done about 5
or 6) may point out clear flaws in my thoughts. :)

-Calvin