[K12OSN] rDesktop sound issues

Gideon Romm ltsp at symbio-technologies.com
Fri Sep 23 13:58:16 UTC 2005

Burt, if you want sound through rdesktop, you will need to sacrifice
sound through Linux.  It is one or the other.  Here's why:

As you surmised, rdesktop thru esd does not work well.  rdesktop needs
to write directly to /dev/dsp in order for sound to work properly.  The
only way to do this, is to run rdesktop off the thin client AND not have
a sound daemon of any kind running of the thin client at the same time.
This is because any sound daemon (such as esd/nasd) will take control
of /dev/dsp and not allow rdesktop to write to it.

So, If you want sound from Windows on the thin client, you should do
something like this:

SCREEN_02 = "rdesktop -r sound:local 192.168.0.253"
SOUND = Y
SOUND_DAEMON = "rdp"

and on the WTS, uncheck "Disallow Audio mapping"

Now, you will have Windows sound on screen 2, but no linux sound.

Side note:  SOUND_DAEMON = "rdp" will produce a warning when booting the
thin client that "rdp" is not a recognized daemon.  This trick is used
to have the thin client load the sound modules, but not a daemon.  If
SOUND_DAEMON is omitted, esd will run by default.

Cheers,

-Gadi