[K12OSN] settings in lts.conf to support ATI Mach64 for X server

Sudev Barar sbarar at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 01:22:34 UTC 2005

On 9/26/05, Petre Scheie <petre at maltzen.net> wrote:
> I have a potential thin client with an on-board ATI Mach64 chipset for
> video.  It's an old 486, but has PCI slots, so the Universal Boot Floppy
> is able to recognize the ethernet card.  But I can't figure out what X
> server to set for it in lts.conf.  I've tried setting X = ati (for XFree
> 4) and virtually all the XFree 3 drivers, but I mostly get "no screens
> found" errors.  What driver (presumably XFree 3) do I need to install to
> make this work?  What package do I need to have yum pull down?  BTW,
> this is for k12ltsp ver 4.4.1.

Petre, Lines below from my lts.conf for such a hardware with B&W monitor.
[ws114]
        XSERVER = vga
        X_MODE_0 = 800x600   40       800  840  968 1056   600 601 605
628  +hsync +vsync
        X_COLOR_DEPTH = 4
        X_MOUSE_PROTOCOL =  "Microsoft"
        X_MOUSE_DEVICE = "/dev/ttyS1"

Watch out for the last line and make sure that you have proper serial
port for mouse. X can also hang if no mouse is found.

HTH
--
Sudev Barar
Learning Linux