[K12OSN] reset-all-desktops

Martin Woolley sysadmin at handsworth.bham.sch.uk
Wed Sep 28 14:33:33 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 28 September 2005 12:43, Will Hatch wrote:
> I should clarify myself here.  I was researching on the web, about how
> to set my k12ltsp network up so that students either cannot change the
> default desktop, or so that each time they log off, the desktop is
> reset.  I found a web page that said something about this script that
> Eric wrote.  I located it with my text editor.  Now, how do I actually
> use it so it will reset-all, every time a student logs off?

One way is to do what we do and that is to run any setup scripts at login
rather than logoff.  We do this by modifying  /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession
Add near the top :

# do any hgs initial setup for non system accounts
if (( $UID > 499)) ; then
  /usr/local/bin/hgssetup
fi

Of course, the proper way to lockdown the desktop is to change the
configuration files so that users cannot change wallpaper etc.  If you are
using kde, as a starting point have a look at www.openhgs.org/it.cgi/Lisa and
seek out the sections on locking down the desktop, kicker and konqueror.
There are some references to other websites which tell you how to it.
--
Regards
Martin Woolley

to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email
in error please notify postmaster at bgfl.org

The views expressed within this email are those of the
individual, and not necessarily those of the organisation