[K12OSN] 8 Minutes to Open Open Office 2

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Thu Sep 29 21:43:39 UTC 2005

On Thursday 29 September 2005 10:36 am, Stephen J. Smoogen wrote:

> It is usual to consider a thread dead if no one has replied after a
> week. 24 hours is not a dead thread. Can you answer items from
> previous emails and some things I just throught of?

Thanks for the insight, Stephen.  My apologies for the pre-mature death
declaration.  I think that I have taken care of other background questions.
The important fact is that both labs have run great with prior 4.x releases.
A volunteer at one school has installed 4.2.1 a few times now just to be
certain that the issue followed the 4.4.1 release.

Our vision is to enable schools to utilize free software in a thin-client
environment and to do it in a self-sustaining, student-involving manner.
When the end user witnesses a degradation in performance from an upgrade,
they blame the upgrade and lose confidence in the product.  Fortunately, I am
not the end user.

> 1) Have you run prelink?

I will have this done.  However, if it was never needed with 4.2.1, why do we
need to ask a teacher to do this?

> 2) Have you looked in dmesg for error messages about network problems?

Doubtful that any network issues exist given the prior performance of the
hardware.

> 3) What is the network backbone of your system? [Switch, hub, gigabit,
> 10mbit, etc?] OOfice is a large app with a lot of window touching...
> network mismatches between the server or clients and switch can show
> up on this and not other apps.

Gig uplink to a gig switch.  I don't see this as an issue.

I am intrigued by Les' suggestion that /home be on a separate drive array.  It
does not explain why the problem exists with 4.4.1, but perhaps it is design
function of OO version 2.

> 4) What does top/ps say?

I am asking a school to do this for us.  Asking an overworked teacher, though,
to coordinate this while managing 30 students is, well, overwhelming.  We
will likely have to get a volunteer on site for this.

> --
> Stephen J Smoogen.
> CSIRT/Linux System Administrator

--scott