[K12OSN] creating accounts

NONE NONE gKw-X at shaw.ca
Fri Sep 30 20:37:36 UTC 2005

I think it has to do with the md5 hashing of the passwords. I used the passwd command to change the password of one of the accounts and then looked in the /etc/shadow file and it had changed from "silver" to a hash code. Strangely, changing the password in the gui does not do this... UNLESS the password was created with a hash in the first place... Then it suddenly decides to make a new one. This is really confusing. So how the heck do you create an account with a properly hashed password? Surely someone has run into this problem before?