[K12OSN] User access to local usb on FC5 + K12LTSP4.2 = imaginary files

Jim Christiansen christiansen_j at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 10 01:42:52 UTC 2006

It is working now.

Ok, what I did was delete the Drives folder in the troubled homes then
started testing out the usbstick for each of my three test users.  I think
the best fix- I don't know why- is to have the disconnect script to remove-
delete- the Drives folder after some short delay of a usbstick being
unplugged.  The reason that I suggest some type of controlled delay after a
stick is unplugged (for the Drives folder to be deleted) is that the first
few times of writing something to a local usbstick I didn't wait long enough
for the files to actually be written to the stick.  On my local usb access,
a write to the usb drive causes a series of flashing, a pause, then maybe 5
to 10 seconds later the actual write occurs to the stick (more flashing).

Maybe this is some annoying FC5 thing- I dunno  :-)

I hope this helps everyone figure out the new 4.2 goodies.  If I'm messed
up- please someone tell me!

Jim

Hi Jim,

A super busy time for you.  Congratulations to you and your team on the new
4.2.

Here is what I get:

[k at christiansens ~]$ id
uid=502(k) gid=503(k) groups=100(users),102(fuse),503(k)
[k at christiansens ~]$

still sounds like a group issue to me.

If the user isn't  part of the 'fuse' group, then the usb stick won't really
be mounted.
But, the mount point is still there.  SO, if you copy anything to it, it'll
actually be copied to your ~/Drives/mountpoint folder.  It'll never copy to
the actual usb stick.

Pick one of the users that isn't working, and pop open a terminal session
and run 'id' and see what groups the user is part of.

I'm guessing you won't see 'fuse' there.

Jim McQuillan
jam at Ltsp.org