[K12OSN] Fedora Education Initiative Launch

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Tue Apr 11 13:20:18 UTC 2006

Fedora Education Initiative <fedora-education-list at redhat.com> on Tuesday,
April 11, 2006 at 2:24 AM +0000 wrote:
>Is there general consensus about this?  And what would be the goal --
>information sharing, primarily?

Information sharing and exposure.  Letting folks know that there is
support out there.  Perhaps showcase vendors who provide services geared
toward the education sector.  Speakers/Presenters who can demonstrate the
why and how of implementing Open Source in Schools.  This is actually what
I do when speaking at numerous events in the Northeast.  Aside from the
obvious "how-to" is the political end of things....how do you sell the
idea?  How do you discreetly introduce something without ruffling
feathers.  (remember our discussion about covertly installing something
like K12LTSP on a small scale without asking permission?).  Obviously that
message would need to be tailored for the event...etc.  Another powerful
message would be to hear from folks like Steve Kossakoski, Assistant
Superintendent for SAU #16 in Exeter, NH.  Having school administrators or
tech folks who are primarily in a management post (as opposed to ground
troops)....hear from someone like Steve....someone who has done it or is
doing it with regard to Open Source/Linux in their school
district....would have a lot of clout.  Fear is a big factor here and we
need to show people that there's nothing to worry about...and also...how
to find help if they need it.

>> Increased presence of free software at all the mainstream ed-tech
>> conferences around the country.  I'm not actually attending the
>> innumerable little conferences going on around the country, but my
>> impression is that, with a few notable exceptions (lately thanks to
>> Steve H.) the open source profile is quite low.  This could easily be
>> a full time job for someone all by itself.  While having strong
>> regional networks of open source supporters is vital, I think a few
>> nationally barnstorming evangelists would make a big difference, too.
>
>How about lots of well-connected part-time evangelists who have a strong
>communications network, a strong unified message, and marketing materials?

This could work as well so long as the funding and commitment is there to
move these people (physically and virtually) to where they're needed.

On the topic of conferences....I'm not sure how effective a national
conference would be as you'd only attract those who can afford to fly to a
national conference.  Perhaps regional conferences or maybe one East Coast
and one West Coast?  Just thoughts.  One thing that makes things in Maine
and NH works so well is that we have a strong network with which we are
able to connect with one another.  The Linux folks in Maine are all
connected via the state technology in education organization called ACTEM
(www.actem.org)  (Association of Computer Technology Educators of Maine)
ACTEM is VERY active and has a very active listserv that connects us
all....this in turn serves as a huge catalyst for online discussions that
often lead to "how'd you do it with Linux/Open Source" discussions.  If
three people are having a discussion about an issue and they solve it with
a Linux/FOSS solution....500+ lurkers on the list see that....and so the
message spreads....  :-)

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Director
Vassalboro Community School