[K12OSN] IP based PA system?

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Apr 12 14:47:46 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 09:13, Jim Kronebusch wrote:

> So one of my many thoughts here is to build some sort of IP based system for
> announcements.  Does anyone know of a way to say take voice from a microphone
> hooked to one computer and broadcast it to any computer withing IP range
> x.x.x.1-.100?  Or on the other hand broadcast audio events from one central
> computer out to a range of others?
>
> Thinking that all classroom machines already have external amplifiers and
> speakers hooked up to them, and I already will know the schedule of what
> classes will be in each room for the day.  Can I script the IP's of machines
> to change to fall into range a or b at certain periods of the day to accept
> these broadcast events and play them locally on the speakers.

What you need is a multicast stream transmitter and receivers and
a way to automatically switch the multicast group address that the
receivers use at appropriate times.   Videolan-client can do the
stream sending and receiving but I don't know if you can control
the receiving stream group remotely.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com