[K12OSN] Which UPS is best for Linux

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 15:48:34 UTC 2006

On 4/20/06, Mark Sarria <mes4294 at lausd.k12.ca.us> wrote:
> I am in the process of purchasing a UPS for my server. I need it to be rack
> mounted and work with Fedora Core 3 any suggestions on which model or Brand
> works best with Linux?

APC seems to be the best of the brands which I _know_ to work with
Linux. My experience suggests that if you use APC, you're better off
using "apcupsd" (in Fedora Extras, IIRC) than "nut".

Falcon UPSes are probably of a higher quality than APC. Falcon says it
has Linux based UPS software, but I have no experience with it, so I
can't give you a definite "works with Fedora" recommendation.

Both APC and Falcon have rack-mount UPSes. You can expect them to cost
a chunk more than the equivalent tower or box models.

Calvin