[K12OSN] LCD 17 vs. 15?

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Tue Apr 25 23:13:01 UTC 2006

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Tuesday, April 25, 2006 at 4:07 PM +0000 wrote:
>On 4/25/06, William Fragakis <william at fragakis.com> wrote:
>> any thoughts? We need to buy a couple of dozen. I know what I'd get for
>> home use but wondering what others experiences are for school use. We
>> have 15" (1024 x 768) in our lab which seem to work fine and many of our
>> old CRTs are 800 x 600. For k-5, would 1280 X 1024 help or just be a
>> superfluous expense?
>
>native res on 17" is 1280x1024 so you will have a little more X
>traffic on eth0 plus if you want 24bit color you need to make sure
>your video cards have enough ram (4MB min). But 17" LCDs are so cheap
>now it's almost not worth buying a 15".
>--
>Robert Arkiletian
>Fl_TeacherTool http://fltk.org/links.php?V269
>C++ GUI tutorial http://fltk.org/links.php?V19

I have a bunch of Acer 15" LCD monitors....they work great in my K12LTSP
lab.  Since the kids only sit in front of them for 40 mins or so at a
time....bigger ones would only take up more space and $$$.  I got the
Acers for $179 apc.  a year or so ago.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Director
Vassalboro Community School