[K12OSN] Finding MAC address for NIC

Angus Carr acarr at saskforestcentre.ca
Wed Apr 26 17:26:58 UTC 2006

Doug Simpson wrote:
> I have a server that has 3 NICs in it.
>
> Eth0 and Eth2 are configured.
>
> Eth0 is private and Eth2 is public in this K12LTSP server.
>
> What I want to do is enable eth1, give it a public number and use it to
> monitor traffic in and out of our LAN by connecting it to a *hub* that is
> between our router and our first public switch.
>
> I think all I need is to know how to determine the MAC address on the NIC
> so I can configure it.
>
> I can shutdown the server, remove the NIC and let kudzu remove it, then
> restart it and let kudzu re-configure it, and that may work, but I can't
> take it down to do that since it is our main server.
>
> Any ideas?

Try "ifconfig eth1" which will give you the MAC ID whether or not it's
configured/connected/etc - just as long as it is present.

For that matter, I can also get mine with "cat /proc/net/arp", but that
may only work with configured and connected if's.
/proc/net/dev contains a list of network devices, which also has MAC ID.
Again, this may only be the configured ones...

Angus Carr.