[K12OSN] Redirect "My Documents" folder to home folder

Brian Chivers brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk
Thu Aug 10 07:00:04 UTC 2006

Paul Lemke wrote:
> Hi all,
> Is there a way in windows 2000 to script the changing of the "My Documents"
> from "c:\docs and settings\blah\blah\mydocuments" to their mapped home
> directory? Specifically their startup.bat file that get's executed when they
> log in.
>
> I've googled it and can't see to come up with an easy answer. The reason
> behind this is I have roaming profiles turned on, but I don't want the users
> to wait all the time to copy their entire home directory. Sure I could tell
> them to save everything to their "X drive" but it's easier to show them how
> to save it to their "my documents" folder.
>
> Thanks for the help!
> Paul

I do this using kixstart scripting language from kixstart.org. I also use the script to alter things
like IE homepage & screensavers etc.

You can alter all the locations for things like My Picture, My Doc's , Desktop even using the
scripting and you can do it on groups so staff have on location & students other. I use it to setup
drive mappings as well

If you'd like a copy of my loginscripts let me know and I'll mail them over.

Brian Chivers
Portsmouth College