[K12OSN] Update from FC2 to FC5 via SSH?

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Thu Aug 10 17:38:21 UTC 2006

> What I've done is copy the pxe-boot files (in the /images/pxeboot/
> dir on CD1) to /boot/ and add them to /etc/grub.conf and set it as
> the default. The server will then boot off the installer kernel & initrd...
>
> In theory, I have not tested this part, the kickstart upgrade process
> will install a new kernel and set that to be the default. So when the
> box reboots, you can log back in and remove the installer kernel from
> /etc/grub.conf.
>
> All of this is "non-trivial", but should be easy to replicate once
> you understand how all of the pieces fit together.

Thanks Eric and Dan.  I will have to build myself a big sandbox when I have a
little more time and test all of this out.  As of now I should probably just
update this server and quit messing around :-)

But I think this would be awesome for the future.  Only hangup I see is
storing the iso images on a separate server.  I wonder if I could keep the
iso's on a separate internal drive and install from there.  That would maybe
eliminate the need to keep up an entirely separate server.  Maybe I could
rsync the iso's on /iso_storage which would be a 10GB internal IDE drive or
something, keep the ks.cfg file under this directory, then call on those ISO's
and ks file locally on reboot.  Hmmm, a lot to think about.