[K12OSN] transparent proxying fix??

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Fri Aug 11 16:27:59 UTC 2006

Burke Almquist wrote:
> To me that makes more sense. Why would you be proxying traffic on the
> external interface??

<Standard disclaimer: I'm re-inventing history here>

I believe the logic went like this:

  1) Is it 100% safe to assume that eth0 is the internal interface? No.
  2) Is it 100% safe to have the redirect on all interfaces? Yes.

  therefore: it makes sense to have the redirect on all interfaces.

You have presented an edge-case that proves assumption #2 to be incorrect.

That leaves us with the problem of finding a new way to mitigate
assumption #1 ;-)

-Eric