[K12OSN] Remote poweron with WakeOnLAN

Angus Carr acarr at saskforestcentre.ca
Wed Aug 23 21:35:06 UTC 2006

I've been experimenting with power management and flipping terminals on
automatically at opening time and shutting them off at closing time.

Most of my terminals, however, do not do this properly. They all report
in the BIOS that they support it.

As far as I can tell from reading mailing lists, this has to do with
some property set in the card by the Linux network card driver.

If I flip off the machine with the power switch, I can use Wakeonlan to
power it up. If I use ltspinfo to turn it off, it doesn't work. No reponse.

 From reading, I see that ethtool is the appropriate tool to set the
property in question, but it's not installed on K12LTSP by default.

The web page that specifies this stuff is (for example)
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:kKqkt345JV4J:wiki.debian.net/%3Faction%3Drevisions%26page_name%3DWakeOnLan%26revision_id%3D-1+ethtool+wakeonlan&hl=en&gl=ca&ct=clnk&cd=1&client=firefox-a
or
http://ahh.sourceforge.net/wol/faq.html

Has anyone done anything with this? I'm looking at changing my
modules.conf, and maybe adding to the terminal environment. Am I missing
anything?

Angus Carr.