[K12OSN] re: LDAP Setup (David Ackerman)

Matt Oquist moquist at majen.net
Thu Aug 24 18:00:59 UTC 2006

> Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 20:50:54 +0800
> From: "David Ackerman" <dackerman at apnts.org>
> Subject: [K12OSN] LDAP Setup
> We are beginning to think of what we can do next with our K12ltsp server.  I
> have noticed lately some discussion about samba and ldap.  We are just
> beginning to think about this and do research.
>
> We have about 100 student users (mostly Windows).  We have a separate email
> server and Moodle server (Ubuntu), both of which involve setting up 100 user
> accounts each (a couple of days work at least).  Plus we run a separate
> server presently SME to filter internet and provide network folders for
> students, another administrative challenge to setup accounts.  We do not
> have any way to know who is accessing forbidden sites because there are
> dynamic ip addresses for the users.  All these servers go directly to the
> internet via a firewall and routers.
>
> Possible solution:  setup K12 (replace SME) to filter internet, provide
> network folders, network login for students (thus we know what they are
> doing), and possibly (?) run about 5 thin clients.  Perhaps then use this to
> also administrate the email server and Moodle through LDAP (do we need a
> reserved LAN connection between the servers which are not connected in
> anyway?).
>
> >From those with experience, is this asking too much from one machine?  Is
> this a good scenario?

This sounds right to me.

> Are there any web sites with clear directions for novices to set up ldap?  I
> think we can set up the samba basically. We've done some searching but it is
> still cloudy.  It will take us a few weeks to be brave enough to set up a
> test server.  Our goal, if this idea proves doable, is to implement this by
> October.

http://majen.net/smbldap

You *do not* want to just set up samba and then get around to LDAP
later. If anything, you can set up LDAP and then configure Samba
later, but I don't recommend that, either.

I recommend the smbldap-installer (which, truth be told, is my
project) along with a cup of coffee and some significant time spent
with Terpstra's Samba Guide, which is linked off the front page of the
smbldap-installer documentation page. Or you can go there directly:
http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/Samba3-ByExample.pdf

--matt

--
Open Source Software Engineering Consultant
http://majen.net/

718 Fox Hollow Drive
Hudson, NH  03051  U.S.A.
+1 603.236.1054 (cell)