[K12OSN] Opinion: CD vs DVD vs Download for Schools Release

Toshio Kuratomi toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Wed Aug 30 18:43:01 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 17:58 +0200, Richard Weideman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here's an issue of great debate in the Edubuntu circles, and I've been
> asked to solicit your opinions.
>
> What does this audience consider the best compromise route if a bundled
> education release starts to run into the 1 CD storage limit ?

Network installs from a repository distributable on CDs.
Then you send one set of CDs to a school or school district.  They
install the packages on their local server and perform a network install
off that repository.  In most cases, this is faster than reading from
the CD drive and shuffling disks for every computer you bring up :-)

-Toshio