[K12OSN] OT - proper OS for CPU

Michael Blinn mblinn at peopleplaces.org
Thu Aug 31 18:52:49 UTC 2006

> If you don't have more than 4GB in your server then just stick with
> x86. AMD made the x86_64 extensions and called them AMD64. Intels
> 64bit cpu Itanium (AKA Itanic) sunk. So they were forced to follow AMD
> lead. They pretty much just copied AMD extensions but called them
> EMT64. So the smithfield (Pentium D) will run x86 or x86_64. There
> really isn't much of an advantage to running x86_64 unless you have
> more than 4GB of ram. 32 bit kernels can also address over 4GB but
> they have to pay a slight penalty for doing so, whereas x86_64 kernels
> can do it natively. There are a few extra registers in the cpu x86_64
> OS's can utilize but it's not really a big deal. Much more important
> will be the issues of 32 bit binary only stuff that you will have
> problems getting to work. (flash is the main one)
Mostly true, though there are now no problems getting flash to work.
Running the x86_64 5.0.0 K12LTSP release, I simply clicked the 'Get
flash' icon, which adds the flash plugin to the i386 firefox. There is a
wrapper script written by some genius that, whenever you start firefox,
runs the x86_64 firefox in 64-bit environments, and the i386 firefox (w/
flash) in i386 environments (the terminals). It could not have been easier.

-Michael

--

If this is my day of harvest, in what fields have I sowed the seed, and
in what unremembered seasons?

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message, and any attachments that may
accompany it, contain information that is intended for the use of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
information that is privileged, confidential, or otherwise exempt from
disclosure under applicable law. If the recipient of this message is not
the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, or other use of this
communication or any of the information, which it contains is
unauthorized and prohibited. If you have received this message in error,
please notify the original sender by return mail and delete this
message, along with any attachments, from your computer. Thank you.