[K12OSN] Hardware question where the newest K12LTSP is being used

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Mon Dec 4 02:39:06 UTC 2006

John P. Conlon wrote:
> My current server is  a home made affair that has a 1GHz AMD processor
> in it.  I was recently given a newer box that has an Intel 2.2GHz
> processor in it.  Can I move the hard drive from the AMD machine to the
> Intel machine without having to re-install everything or loosing my
> students' folders and files?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Pat

With processors, the only time you really run into problems is if you
are doing a major hardware downgrade. Moving from a 64bit AMD Opteron to
an Intel P4, for example. Or moving from a P4 to a 386 or 486.

I would expect moving from a 1GHz AMD (32bit Athlon, I'd guess) to a P4
2.2GHz would work without a problem.

-Eric