[K12OSN] Using NX as a client solution - Problem with sound.

Theo Turner Theo.Turner at CumnorHouse.com
Fri Dec 8 17:38:11 UTC 2006

I asked this a little while ago and got no reply but later found half my
email was being swallowed as 'spam'. So I'll ask again and hopefully
more clearly.

I am using a K12LTSP V5 with a fairly standard install. I.e it has 2
nics and is set up for LTSP, but I don't actually plug anything into the
client nic. I connect all my clients using the nx client. I do this
because I have this set up in a school that is still very dependant on
windows. I have so far half converted the preprep. So I need to have the
ICT lab capable of switching from Windows to Linux and back very quick.

My solution is to use the free nx server on the K12 box and then use the
windows client. To make this kidy friendly I have changed the windows
GUI for a user called 'kid' to a custom one I modified from so
downloaded vb source code. When this user logs on they have a logoff
button at the bottom of the screen and an Icon to launch the nx client
with the settings and password already entered. This log on takes
15seconds even when a class of 20 come in at once. Everything works
great, screen refresh is fast, much faster than VNC even over local
network. Even sound works so everyone is happy. I have joined the K12
box to the windows 2K domain so staff can access their network documents
etc. But the preprep children's accounts are local so as not to make the
system dependant on the windows domain at all. This side of the system
works brilliantly and bar a niggle or two over a couple of specific apps
I am very pleased.

I have a problem though when I try to do the same thing using a Linux
machine as the client. I want to have knopptix installed to some old
PC's that were donated and use these as clients to access the K12
desktop in the same way as the windows PC's do. All works except sound!
I have no idea why it doesn't work as local sound is working fine. If
anyone can think of anything on this one I would be greatful.

For info the biggest reason I had for not using the standard LTSP client
model is that this required me to reach each client with a network
connection run from this server. I have a sprawling network and need
clients all over the place and didn't want to have to install extra
cables to remote parts of the school. The nx client connects over the
same network as the rest of the school network. It was for me cheaper
and easer to upgrade some of the core switches to gigabit instead.

Thanks

Theo Turner