[K12OSN] PostSession script, rm command and user directories

Nils Breunese nils at breun.nl
Fri Dec 15 11:52:04 UTC 2006

Meelis Mihhailov wrote:

> So every time a user ends his/her session, home directory will be
> removed and replaced with the one in the tar file. (with the needed
> permissions )
> This works fine but now as I'm setting up so called backup server
> with LTSP 5, FC 5, Gnome 2.8 and Sabayon ... my solution won't work :(
>
> in the old system I have the following code that will erase the
> home directory of a user who logged off :
>
> cd /
> cp /usr/BACKUP/terminal1.tar /home/terminal1.tar
> cd /home
> rm -R terminal1
> tar -xvf terminal1
> rm -f terminal1.tar

1) That "cd /" doesn't really do anything. But luckily it doesn't do
any harm either.
2) I think "tar -xvf terminal1" should be "tar -xvf terminal1.tar"?

You could clean this up a little further, because it's not really
necessary to copy the tar file, extract it and then remove it.

rm -rf /home/terminal1/*
cd /home
tar -xf /usr/BACKUP/terminal1.tar

Nils Breunese.