[K12OSN] DHCP on a different port..... thanks.

Bert Rolston bert.rolston at clear.net.nz
Thu Dec 28 23:16:42 UTC 2006

Hi Folks,

Thanks for your help Jim, Huck, David, and Chuck.

I'll be using etherboot images. AFAIK I can get these burnt onto
bootroms.
Is this correct?
If so then PXE is a moot point.

I know how to put etherboot onto floppy.
I have toyed with the idea of IDE to CF adaptors and putting
etherboot on CF.
Another altenative is etherboot CD's.

In this case I will probably use the old HDD's in the machines which are
all less than 1GB.

I don't have access to the MS DHCP server. Abut two weeks ago I asked
the list about passing requests through the MS DHCP server to the LTSP
DHCP server.

The sysadmin I am dealing with clearly stated he doesn't want anything
to disrupt or change the current infrastructure. He uses Ubuntu at home
so introducing Linux isn't a problem.

This installation has to be rock solid in order to change current
negative perceptions of Linux that upper level management has.

The network is running class B /16 addresses.

Thanks for your time.

Bert