[K12OSN] which XSERVER for riva128?

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Wed Feb 1 04:33:37 UTC 2006

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006, Robert Arkiletian wrote:

> On 1/31/06, Petre Scheie <petre at maltzen.net> wrote:
>> I've got a client workstation that can't seem to start its X server.
>> When X tries to start, it fails but  reports that the machine has a
>> RIVA128 chip but it can't seem to start the X server (I forget the
>> actual error message).  I'm suprised that the XFree 4 drivers won't
>> work.  In any event, I can hardcode the X server for this workstation.
>> Does anyone know which one I should use for the RIVA128?
>
> Yes, all my clients are RIVA128. The driver is "nv" but "auto" works
> just fine so I don't think you need to hardcode the driver. I bet the
> problem you are having is that the RIVA128 does not support 16 bit
> color. Your have to use 24 bit, which looks better anyway.

To set "24 bit color" on a specific workstation, append a section
such as this to your /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf

[00:50:56:59:7F:81]
     X_COLOR_DEPTH = 24

(where "00:50:56:59:7F:81" is the MAC address of the client. Alternatively,
  you can use the IP address or the host name of the client if you have
  either of those hard-coded. Using the MAC address is the most reliable)

If you want all workstations to use 24-bit color (looks better, but uses
more network bandwidth), then add the "X_COLOR_DEPTH = 24" line to the
"[Default]" section at the top of /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf

-Eric