[K12OSN] david trask:re sme7 dans and ldap

David Trask dtrask at vcsvikings.org
Mon Feb 13 16:55:44 UTC 2006

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Monday, February 13, 2006 at 10:45 AM +0000 wrote:
>David: im assuming the last transmission got lost in the shuffle..are you
>authing the sme box to internal ldap so your users and groups show::if so
>what am i missing?

Not at this time...the ldap on SME is entirely different, but it may
change with the new version based on CentOS (as opposed to RH 7.3)  I have
static passwords that I generate with smbldap-installer...thus I simply
use the same usernames and pw's in both places....but in this case I do it
manually.  I haven't tried doing a slapadd, but doubt it'd work because
the schemas are so different.  I haven't gotten into much of the ldap end
of things on the SME server...banged my head too many times last time.
(Square peg...round hole)  I'm going to upgrade my SME to 7.0 once it's
out of beta....I may try to dissect the LDAP stuff and see if I can work
with it....or....blow it away and install OpenLDAP and my own
schemas.....thus I can slapadd or even authenticate against my Samba/LDAP
server.  The new Samba 4 is probably going to make everything moot anyway
so I'm hesitant to get too far into it.  I'm also going to look at Fedora
Directory Server....FDS combined with Samba 4 should be an Active
Directory killer.  (not that I run Active Directory.....eeeewwwww!)

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Director
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask at vcsvikings.org